Puglia POP is not only very well known in Puglia but also in the entire wine world. It shakes things up a lot in a region where volumes are mainly produced, and still (too) often at very questionable quality. Companies such as Rivera and Gianfranco Fino are the ones who have given a kickoff to shift the focus mainly to quality. At Puglia POP they have gone one step further and not only with the wine production but also the bottle is completely overhauled.
The video below was made by the same video producer as major design brands such as Fendi, Gucci, and Pixar. It has the same unconventional style as the revolutionary PugliaPOP brand.
The Salento DOC area (Primitivo di Manduria and Susumaniello), is the most suitable area for the red Puglia POP varieties because of the hot temperatures they have in the summer (up to 45 ° C), and the proximity to the sea which makes the evening is a serious cooldown period. The Verdeca and Negroamaro vineyards are located in the Valle d'Itria area, one of the few areas with hills in all of Puglia. With nice temperature fluctuations during the day and night, it gives nice acidity and great aromas to the wines.
- PUGLIA POP is a completely new project where wines are made of only the highest quality, and the bottles are very innovative and attractive to look at.
- The wine comes from old vines with very low yields of only 1 to 1.5 kg per vine. There is a maximum of only 1 bottle of wine from a bush!
- The vines are grown using the Albarello method, meaning that the vines are not supported by posts or iron wire. The vines form a low shrub that resembles a small tree (Alberello means 'young tree' in Italian). It is very expensive to grow grapes in this way because fewer vines can be planted per hectare and machines cannot be used. This ultimately gives very low yields, but the advantage is that the grapes are of very high quality.
- The harvest of all 4 Puglia POP wines takes place in early September and is carried out completely manually. At Puglia POP, everything is given a very long time, which ensures, among other factors, high quality. The fermentation is always very long and in all cases, lees with the natural yeasts remain. After this, the wine is transferred to amphorae made of clay where it is allowed to age for many more months, and the red wines are then aged for another 6 months in French and American oak barriques. All wines are also always aged for a few months to six months before the wine becomes available.
- Lastly, the wine is bottled in its highly innovative bottle which insulates the wine 45% better against temperature changes, and 100% better protected against light than a normal wine bottle. This keeps the wine good for longer and you drink the wine as the winemaker intended, without unpleasant external influences. The bottle is also 100% recyclable and contributes to sustainable projects in Puglia.