2022 San Marzano Talo Primitivo di Manduria
In 1962, 19 winemakers, determined to demonstrate the high potential of wines from Salento, founded "Cantine San Marzano". The Talò series from San Marzano are all very nice wines with authentic Puglia grapes aged in oak barrels. elegant, complex and, as with all wines from San Marzano, excellent price/quality.
"In San Marzano, vine growers take care of their small vineyards as if they were gardens. Their stories are numerous, as are the names of their families. We have chosen one name, Talò, to thank each and every family and pay tribute to each story"
The harvest for the Talò Primitivo di Manduria is completely manual in the second week of September. The grapes are soaked for 18 days for 80% of the whole and 25 days for the remaining 20%, followed by temperature-controlled fermentation. This Primitivo matures for 6 months in French and American oak barrels.
In the glass, the Talò Primitivo di Manduria has a ruby red color enriched with violet tones; lush bouquet, reminiscent of ripe cherries and plums, with pleasant notes of cocoa and vanilla; a wine with a remarkable structure, softened by the soothing warmth of the Primitivo grape; the finish offers notes of lingering sweetness. This wine goes well with hearty starters, lamb, game and red meat with rich sauces and hard cheeses. 94/100 Luca Maroni.
FACT : In the Tab: Appendix you will find the official fact sheet of this beautiful wine. We will send it to you automatically when you order this wine. The wine is stored in our conditioned Wine Warehouse and if you pick up the wine you will often receive a nice discount. You will immediately see the possible discount if you choose Pickup in the Checkout page. We are almost next to the Rijksweg with plenty of parking. Click here for address.
In 1962, 19 winegrowers from San Marzano joined forces to create "Cantine San Marzano". Today, this cooperative has more than 1200 growers and uses modern and technologically advanced installations without compromising the very old wine tradition of Puglia. San Marzano is located in Puglia, in the heart of the acclaimed DOC "Primitivo di Manduria", between two seas (Ionian and Adriatic).
The provinces of Taranto and Brindisi offer a landscape where vineyards and olive trees grow side by side on a red substrate. This soil and the Mediterranean terroir play an essential role in the production of high-quality wines. The climate is extreme, with difficult conditions: drought, frost, Sirocco wind. Yet these passionate winemakers ensure that even grapes from the oldest vineyards produce full-bodied and elegant wines. Respect for the traditions of Puglia and passion for wine are paramount, but go hand in hand with technological developments and clever marketing. The modern wines of San Marzano are now extremely popular in Italian wine bars. The San Marzano label is their premium line, which even appears on the table in Michelin restaurants.
Using modern vinification techniques, San Marzano produces elegant and clean wines that pay tribute to the ancient Apulian winemaking traditions. This fusion of time-honored tradition, passion and contemporary craftsmanship allows the production of wines with distinctive varietal characteristics that reflect the essence of the local terroir. The team of winemakers is built to create the idiosyncratic and innovative style that makes San Marzano recognizable from the first sip. Caterina Bellanova and Davide Ragusa were born and raised in Puglia: Caterina represents the exquisite touch essential to make iconic wines, Davide is a young and talented winemaker, he studied oenology in Florence and developed his practical skills during several harvests, including in Abroad.
The strength of San Marzano lies in its versatility. However, she does have some hobbyhorses. She is a real star in the Primitivo from Di Manduria. San Marzano is also the right address for the wine drinker who is looking for depth and complexity. How about the San Marzano Collezione Cinquanta. This is a complex red wine that unites all the beauty of Salento, part of Puglia. But the real winner is the Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria, a real top wine that the whole world has fallen in love with. It was not for nothing that this powerhouse received no less than 98 points from Luca Maroni, who is considered the Italian counterpart of Robert Parker.
|Type of Wine||Red|
|Appellation||Primitivo di Manduria|
|Drinking as of||2023|
|Tasting Profiles||Earthy, Dark fruit, Dry, Aged on wood, Powerful, Spicy, Tannines, Full|
|Drink moments||Barbecue, Met vrienden, Open haard|