2020 Marques de Riscal Rioja Tapias de Marqués de Riscal
Tapias 2020: a great Rioja has arrived for the 2nd time at the Place de Bordeaux
On September 15, 2023, Marqués de Riscal launched a unique Rioja, coming from his single vineyard Tapias 20209, which will now be distributed for the 2nd time via the Place de Bordeaux system where Grandcruwijnen can purchase directly as an official wine merchant. Francisco Hurtado de Amézaga, general technical and production manager, explains: "This marks a return to their roots for Marqués de Riscal, something that seemed logical to us given the relationship the bodega has had with Bordeaux for more than 160 years. More than a century ago Marqués de Riscal even sold their wines through the Place de Bordeaux. It is a real return to the roots of the distribution of the bodega's wines. Marqués de Riscal have decided to launch this Rioja, Tapias 2019 on the Place de Bordeaux, because it is a wine reminiscent of the wines the house made in the early days, with a certain Bordeaux influence in terms of the winemaking methods.
Las Tapias, a unique vineyard
Tapias takes its name from one of the best vineyard plots of Marqués de Riscal, Finca Las Tapias, was planted in 1968 and has unique terroir characteristics with its iron and calcareous clay soils. Located in the town of Elciego, these vines were planted in a traditional way with grafts of Tempranillo from an old vineyard, known for its fine quality. This incredible plot is surrounded by rich and varied flora including rockrose, lavender, rosemary, sage and wild thyme. Planted on ancient terraces through which the River Ebro flowed for thousands of years, it reveals a unique terroir. The best grapes from this plot were carefully selected to produce the Tapias cuvée. Tapias is a wine that will continue to improve with age and has a good backbone and a tight mouthfeel and fine tannins, which combine elegance and power. On the nose there are well-defined notes of blackcurrant and cherry, with nuances of smoked and menthol. A very harmonious, balanced wine with enormous fruit intensity and a spicy, tasty aftertaste.
FACT: In the Tab: Appendix you will find all kinds of information about Marques de Riscal and this wine and of course also the official fact sheet. We will send this to you automatically when you place an order. The wine is in our conditioned Wine Warehouse and if you pick up the wine you will also receive a nice discount. You will see the discount if you choose Pickup on the checkout page. We are almost next to the Rijksweg with plenty of parking. Click here for address.
• Marqués de Riscal is one of Rioja's oldest bodegas (1858) and the first to introduce Bordeaux winemaking methods
• Las Tapias is the best vineyard of Marqués de Riscal, 15 hectares located in Elciego
• The vines were planted in 1968 by the grandfather of the current owner, from grafts of pre-phylloxera Tempranillo
• The altitude of the vineyard is high, at 500 meters altitude, in the ancient bed of the Ebro River, with ferrous and calcareous clay soils
• Only 2.85 hectares selected for Tapias 2020
• First release of Tapias, with vintage year 2019 - only 3,000 bottles produced
• Marqués de Riscal has been part of the same family since 1858 • Platinum medal - Decanter World Wine Awards 2023
• “Excellent energy and overall weight on the palate with a long and lingering spicy, fresh finish” - Georgina Hindle/Decanter
• Marqués de Riscal has belonged to the same family since 1858
|Available as of||Nov 30, 2023|
|Type of Wine||Red|
|Winery||Marques de Riscal|
|Grape||Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo|
|Drinking as of||2023|
|James Suckling rating||98|
|Tasting Profiles||Complex, Dry, Aged on wood, Powerful, Spicy, Red fruit, Tannines, Full|
|Drink moments||Indruk maken, Lekker luxe, Open haard|