Quinta Do Infantado
Quinta do Infantado winery is located in the northern part of Portugal. The name means 'domain of the prince'. The winery was founded in 1816 by the son of the Portuguese King Jaoa VI, Prince Dom Pedro IV. At the end of the 18th century, the domain was sold to João Lopes Roseira, whose grandson, also called João, is in charge. The Quinta consists half of old walled terraces, and the newer part is formed by modern patamares. Exceptionally compared to other Port companies, Quinta do Infantado has always used as few pesticides as possible. Keeping the weeds free is done in such an environmentally friendly manner. The winery makes both red wine and port. La Quinta is located in Pinhão, in the canton of Gontelho, where the best vineyards of the Douro are located. The farm has been owned by the Roseira family since the late 1800s and is now managed by João Roseira, manager and winemaker, and Catherine Roseira. The vineyards on very steep terraces are worked by traditional methods, almost everything is done by hand. The grapes are selected by hand and are still "trampled" with their feet. The winery strives for a medium-dry style, that is, there are less brandy and less sugar.