Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona
In Castelnuovo dell'Abate is the stately 17th-century palazzo where Guiseppe Bianchini vinified the wines of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona until a few years ago. Today the wines are produced and bottled in a brand new cellar just outside the village. Cyclist Paulo Bianchini traded his bike for his father's heritage and oversees the performance of the peloton of wines.
The estate has origins dating back to the 17th century and it still retains its historical heritage in a building called "Palazzo" (palace) which was built by Fabivs de' Vecchis, Bishop of Montalcino and Abbot of Sant'Antimo Abbey . After the death of the bishop, the palace and the surrounding estate were auctioned under the Italian law on church property and on September 16, 1868, they were bought by Countess Eva Bernini Cerretani. On December 31, 1877, Countess Cerretani sold the entire estate to the Ciacci family from Castelnuovo dell'Abate. After the marriage between Count Alberto Piccolomini d'Aragona, a direct descendant of Enea Silvio Piccolomini (Pope Pius II) and Elda Ciacci, the episcopal palace became the Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona
In 1985, the Countess Elda Ciacci gave full ownership to Giuseppe Bianchini, farmer of the estate for many years, raising a brand new and leading philosophy production with only attention to the quality of the wines and also opening up exports worldwide. Giuseppe, who sadly passed away in February 2004, left the business to his son and daughter, Paolo and Lucia.
The Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona estate is located on the south-eastern slope of the municipality of Montalcino, close to the medieval village of Castelnuovo dell'Abate and the famous Romanesque Abbey of Sant'Antimo, which dates back to the 11th century. The entire estate, which extends over 220 hectares, of which 55.5 hectares are vineyards and 40 olive groves, has all the typical features of the Tuscan countryside, decorated with rolling hills, meadows and forests of unforgettable colors. Located between the Arna Hill and the Orcia River in the southeast, it offers a unique panorama with the beautiful contours of Mount Amiata in the background. Wild animals, scents of flowers and plants and the typical farmhouses that are scattered around, create a peaceful and calm atmosphere in this area.
Vigna Ferraiole, Vigna Egle, Vigna Contessa and Vigna Colombaio are just some of the main vines of Sangiovese Grosso. South-facing vineyards and located in the heart of the Val d'Orcia Park, Unesco World Heritage known for top wines due to its marl and slate contents, dating back to the Eocene.
The Sangiovese Grosso clone is selected from the estate's oldest vines, characterized by wild bunches and large, thick-skinned berries. It is a particularly representative variety of Sangiovese from Montalcino and gives quality even in difficult vintages.
Both wines Brunello di Montalcino DOCG “Pianrosso” and Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Riserva “Vigna di Pianrosso” Santa Caterina d´Oro come from a careful selection of grapes from the only vineyard, the oldest and the most representative. "Pianrosso" covers 11.69 hectares (29.22 acres). The altitude of this large vineyard varies from 240 to 360 meters above sea level.