Château Phélan Ségur
Winery Château Phélan Ségur is located in Saint-Estèphe. The vineyard covers some 70 hectares with beautiful clay-gravel soil on the hills and plateaus of Saint-Estèphe. The plots consist of 4 large sections and are adjacent to the vineyards of Châteaux Montrose and Calon Ségur, among others. The plant density is high. The blend of grape varieties is traditional: the talented duo of the Médoc (58% Cabernet Sauvignon and 39% Merlot) is complemented by a touch of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot (1.5% of each).
Cabernet Sauvignon, the king of the Médoc grape varieties, brings incomparable strength and structure: it is the backbone of the Grand Vin. Merlot exudes an attractive roundness and unparalleled suppleness. To preserve diversity and bring a touch of spice, Petit Verdot entered the winery in 2015. It excels on heavier soils where clay dominates. It is a vigneron variety, boisterous and requires perfect control. Cabernet Franc, which has always had its place at the Château, is a precious asset in the blend, with its finesse and floral notes.
The Médoc is characterized by its mild, temperate maritime climate and has ideal conditions for a seasonal cycle that is clear enough to accompany the annual growth of the vine and mild enough to dampen climate extremes. The vines of Château Phélan Ségur are close to the estuary: this protects them from harsh winters and sometimes very hot summers. The soil of Saint-Estèphe is very complex and Château Phélan Ségur is a perfect illustration of this. It consists of a thick layer of gravel that was deposited by the river several hundred thousand years ago. The pebbles and especially the gravel covered with clay sand (clay gravel) form the sloping landscape of a large part of Saint-Estèphe.
Winery Phélan Ségur, with its Irish roots, has been working for 4 generations for more than 2 centuries with passion and respect for the terroir to make the most beautiful wines. At the end of the 18th century, the young Irish wine merchant Bernard O'Phelan (1770-1841) left his native Tipperary and decided to settle in Bordeaux. The city of Bordeaux was then an important trade hub with the British Isles. Close relationships were built up between the families that bought and sold regional wines. These ties were such that they led to alliances and even marriages, in particular that of Bernard Phélan with one of the daughters of Daniel Guestier, a well-known merchant in the Bordeaux wine market. Aided by his father-in-law's experience, he also had a vision to start producing his own wines. In 1805 he bought Clos de Garramey, located in Saint-Estèphe, and then in 1810 the estate Ségur de Cabanac.
In the middle of a park whose fields extend as far as Saint-Estèphe, the Palladian-style castle dominates the top of a hill overlooking the estuary. When designing the château, the owners, the Phélan family, did not hesitate to break with the architectural habits of the time, to build a castle centered on wine. Rather than designing it as a prestigious mansion, isolated from the manufacturing activity, they preferred to include the barrel room and cellar in the heart of the castle, in an undeniably beautiful ensemble. At the time, they were one of the first to furnish their barrel chamber in the “Médoc style”.
After the death of Bernard O'Phelan in 1841, the estate, jointly named Château Ségur de Garramey, was passed on to his son Frank (1820-1883). The latter, a médocain at heart, even though he was a true Irishman, would dedicate his life to further enhancing the fame and quality of the winery's wines. In addition, he became mayor of Saint-Estèphe and as such remained in that post for 30 years. He made progress within the Irish community in Bordeaux, which included the Johnston, Barton, Clarke and Lynch families. At the beginning of the 20th century, Château Ségur de Garramey was given its current name Château Phélan Ségur. A name synonymous with classical and noble values that subtly combines a sense of innovation and heritage.
The Gardinier family has, after more than 30 years running the winery, decided to hand over the baton to Philippe Van de Vyvere. For Philippe, who is a great wine lover, this acquisition is the fulfillment of one of his most cherished dreams.