Château Haut Brion
Château Haut-Brion is located in the French municipality of Pessac, a few kilometers southwest of the city of Bordeaux. Haut-Brion is the oldest and historically the most colorful Gironde winery - it was here that the first Bordeaux was made from a single vineyard in the 17th century, first donated in London coffee houses and praised by many leading writers. In 1935, the winery was bought by Clarence Dillon, an American banker. He invested large sums in the renovation of the chai and the vineyard. In 1960, Haut-Brion became the first premier cru, replacing the wooden barrels with stainless steel tanks. In 1983, the Dillon family bought the adjacent Château la Mission Haut-Brion.
The vineyard covers an area of 51 hectares of which just over 48 hectares are planted with red grape varieties (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot) and just under 3 hectares are dedicated to white grape varieties (Sémillon and Sauvignon Blanc).