Weingut stift Göttweig
Weingut Stift Göttweig is known as one of the oldest wineries in Austria. Stift Göttweig was founded as a Benedictine abbey in 1083 by Altmann of Passau (also known as Saint Altmann). Since that time, the Abbey has always played an important role in the development of wine production in the Wachau Valley.
On the south bank of the Danube opposite the city of Krems at 449 meters above sea level, Stift Göttweig is located amidst the rolling countryside. Because of this location and the abbey, the winery is also called the Austrian Montecassino. The Benedictines were responsible for the administration until 1988 and then the property was rented out until 2005. Since 2006, winegrower Fritz Miesbauer and his team have been reliving the history of the Stift Göttweig estate.
The atmospheric currents emanating from the Dunkelsteiner forest and the warmer Pannonian air create a special microclimate on the Göttweigerberg. The combination of these air currents and the natural humidity in the Danube region provide balanced conditions that allow the grapes to grow optimally. In addition to the special microclimate, the soil composition is also very varied. The composition of chalky clay, gravel, loess and sand in combination with the microclimate ensure that the special nuances of the terroir are reflected in the wines.
The 26 hectares of vineyards that Weingut Stift Göttweig owns are divided into different grape varieties namely: 60% Grüner Veltliner, 30% Riesling, 4% Chardonnay and 6% Pinot Noir. After the harvest, the grapes go to the wine cellar located in the aforementioned Krems where the harvest is processed into the beautiful wines that Weingut Stift Göttweig has to offer.