There was once …
…according to her notes, Scottish travel writer and painter Lady Anne Barnard must have passed the ground of Springfontein in May 1798 on a journey from present-day Hermanus to Stanford along the south side of the lagoon and the course of the Klein River. However, the farm was not registered as such until June 1, 1816, when it was awarded to the then President of the Cape High Court, Sir Johannes Andries Truter, as first owner. The farm, which is now a restaurant, is probably about 200 years old. This is evident not least by the carefully exposed walls.
Springfontein is named after the jumping, bubbling (Afrikaans: "Spring") well (Afrikaans: "Fountain") that, located in the northeastern part of the farm, promised ample water for agricultural use, while the bottom seemed rather problematic. For decades, in addition to small-scale livestock farming with sheep, goats and cattle, attempts were made to grow onions and potatoes, but limited to the immediate vicinity of the buildings. In 1983, all agricultural activities came to a complete standstill for more than a decade.
dr. Johst Weber bought this estate in 1996 and is still the owner together with the children. The team has been strengthened with Tariro Masayiti as winemaker and Hildegard Witbooi as vineyard expert. The farm has been organic for several years and the certification process has been completed. You can call the style of winemaking traditional, much is still done by hand. After the manual harvest, all grape bunches are selected again and only what is absolutely right is used. Tariro also makes a series of top wines under the name 'Limestone Rocks', with names of famous rock songs:
Dark Side of the Moon
Child in Time
Gadda da Vida
Whole Lotta Love