2020 Montaribaldi Stissa d'le Favole Langhe Chardonnay DOC

14.95 12.36
Type of Wine White
Country Italy
Region Piemonte
Appellation Langhe
Winery Montaribaldi
Year 2020
Grape Chardonnay
Content (Alc) 0.75 ltr (13.5%)
Drink window 2021 - 2025
View all characteristics Discover more about this wine

Montaribaldi makes Vineyard wines as they say and means that the wine has to be 'made' in the vineyard and not with all kinds of tinkering in the winery. A beautiful terroir, quality instead of quantity, old vineyards, low plant density, deliberately low yield are principles that Montaribaldi applies to get great grapes and then making beautiful wine is a piece of cake.

The Langhe Chardonnay DOC Stissa d'le Favole is a young white wine made from 100% Chardonnay grapes coming from a vineyard located in the municipality of Alba at an altitude of 200 meters. The vineyard is almost 50 years old and has the typical Piedmont terroir of lime, marl and fine sand. The Chardonnay grapes are harvested between the end of August and the beginning of September. Once in the winery, the grapes are destemmed, crushed and cooled (temperature of 10-13°C). They are then lightly pressed in the pneumatic press to separate the skin from the must. This is done very lightly (soft crush) so that only the pure juice comes out. The must is then left to rest for a few days in stainless steel thermo-conditioned tanks (13°C) to separate the turbidity. The clear must undergoes alcoholic fermentation at a temperature of 15-18 ° C and lasts about ten days. Then 25% of the chardonnay is put in new barriques (225L) with regular battonage so that the wine stays in contact with its lees. The remaining 75% is also in constant contact with the lees, but in stainless steel tanks. Finally, after about 8 months, the wine is mixed together and bottled. The Langhe Chardonnay DOC Stissa d'le Favole then remains in the cellars of Montaribadi for a while to mature in peace and only then becomes available.

This is a wonderful Chardonnay. The combination of oak and stainless steel makes the wine fresh and rich with notes reminiscent of aging in oak barrels. The Langhe Chardonnay DOC Stissa d'le Favole is just like a chardonnay can taste: Elegant, fresh, aromatic, fruity. In the glass, the wine has a straw yellow color with green reflexes. On the nose, the wine is intense with notes of tropical fruits (especially banana and pineapple), along with vanilla and toasted aromas (bread, nuts) from aging in oak barrels. This wine is perfect to enjoy as an aperitif and with beautiful fish dishes such as grilled dorade and scampi.

Vineyard for 2020 Montaribaldi Stissa d'le Favole Langhe Chardonnay DOC

The 'azienda agricola Montaribaldi' is historically a family business, located in the middle of the Langhe hills in the small village of Barbaresco. The Montaribaldi winery has been owned by the Taliano family from the beginning and has 19 hectares in the Barberesco area. In 1994 Luciano and Roberto took over the company from their father and immediately decided to only produce high quality wines. It is still a real family business, father Guiseppe and mother Carla as well as the wives of the owners, Antonella and Franca all cooperate. At present they produce about 75000 bottles a year. Thanks to the perfect location of the vineyards of Montaribaldi and the typical white soil of the hills in Langhe, the elegant wines that come from them have a long life. Note that the land around the Montaribaldi vineyards is from Gaja. The family makes some of the most famous wines from the Piedmont region: Barbaresco DOCG, Barolo DOCG, Barbera d'Alba DOC, Barbera d'Asti DOCG, Roero Arneis. They offer a complete range of wines, from grapes typical of this region. Typical of this winery is that the wines have their origin in Piedmont, are always recognizable as a 'Montaribaldi' wine and are sustainably grown and produced. As they call it themselves: making 'vineyard wines' distinguishes them from others.

More Information
Type of Wine White
Country Italy
Region Piemonte
Appellation Langhe
Winery Montaribaldi
Grape Chardonnay
Biological certified No
Vegan No
Year 2020
Drinking as of 2021
Drinking till 2025
Alcohol % 13.5
Alcohol free/low No
Content 0.75 ltr
Oak aging Yes
Sparkling No
Dessert wine No
Closure Cork
Tasting Profiles Dry, Aged on wood, Powerful, Rich, Round, Full, White fruit
Drink moments Barbecue, Cadeau!, Lekker luxe, Met vrienden, Open haard, Romantisch
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing:2020 Montaribaldi Stissa d'le Favole Langhe Chardonnay DOC
Your Rating


Which dish goes perfectly with this wine?

Our online smart sommelier will help you!

Latest review


Champagne Veuve Clicquot Brut Veuve Fridge SMEG

"Een blikvanger in mijn huis...zo mooi...superblij ! " Chantal

View product review