2017 Maius Assemblage Priorat
The grapes are harvested exclusively by hand. The Garnacha grapes were harvested during the first week of October, while the Carignan and Cabernet Sauvignon were harvested later during the month. After stealing, the grapes are made in stainless steel in cold pre-fermentation at 14 degrees Celsius for 3 days to accentuate the aromatic expression before the fermentation takes place. The alcoholic fermentation takes place at a maximum temperature of 26 degrees Celsius. A good maceration gives the wine a good dose of tannin structure and anthocyanins. About 20% of the wine is raised for 6 months in wooden barrels and then mixed with the remaining 80% of the wine.
This beautiful Priorat from the winery Maius is made from a blend of 40% Grenache, 40% Carignan and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine is very mature with a good depth with a beautiful cherry red color with blue hues that confirm the complexity of the Maius assembly. In the nose we smell ripe red fruit, leather with subtle tones of wood and the mineral tones that are so familiar to priorat. In the mouth we taste a full wine with balsamic vinegar and here too the mineral accents come back. The Masius Assemblage is a very elegant wine with well-integrated tannins and a long finish. It will be very difficult to find a Priorat wine with this price / quality. The wine has won the Silver Medal at the Hong Kong HKIWSC and the 2009 has received 90 parking points. Later volumes have not yet been assessed but Priorat connoisseurs know that 2012 and 2013 are among the top vintages.
Press wine December 2018:
Odor: Wood, jam, spices, pure
Taste: sultry, slightly drying, youthful, tasty
|Type of Wine||Red|
|Winery||Maius DOQ Priorat|
|Grape||Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan, Garnacha|
|Drinking as of||2019|
|Tasting Profiles||Earthy, Rustic, Dark fruit, Dry, Aged on wood, Powerful, Spicy, Tannines, Full|
|Drink moments||Barbecue, Cadeau!, Lekker luxe, Met vrienden, Open haard, Romantisch|